Marketing with Custom and Preloaded iPods, MP3 Players and USB Drives
A Special Report
Using Portable Media to Attract and Engage Customers By Dan Safkow
Custom iPods, and MP4 and MP3 players are the ultimate promotional product and marketing tool because of their high perceived value as an incentive or gift and ability to carry a custom marketing message via pre-loaded audio. And that’s just the beginning. A branded MP3 player in the hands of your customers, or potential customers, is also a pipeline for a relationship marketing campaign that you can deliver via podcasting, the method for publishing audio files to the Internet for download.
Here are 10 industry specific scenarios of how custom MP3 players can be used to attract and engage customers or members:
1. An airline offers custom iPods players as an incentive to promote a new premium service or destination. Qualifying passengers receive the branded iPod preloaded with an audio magazine about other exotic destinations served by the airline.
2. A luxury automotive manufacturer offers custom MP3 players as an incentive for test drives. The branded MP3 players are preloaded with an audio infomercial that includes customer testimonials and interviews with engineers and designers.
3. A professional sports team sells collectable MP4 video players, or gives them away as a season ticket purchase incentive. Each branded MP4 player features the team’s logo and is preloaded with player interviews and video highlights.
4. A public radio station offers custom MP3 players as premium gifts during their membership. Each portable media player is preloaded with audio recording from their most popular programs.
5. A financial institution offers custom iPods as an incentive for new accounts. The branded iPods contain an audio magazine that promotes other investment and money management strategies.
6. An entertainment company includes custom MP4 players in their press kits touting a new production. Each player is imprinted with the show’s logo and includes cast interviews, sound bites and video highlights from the production.
7. A university provides MP3 players, with built-in voice recorders, to incoming freshman as a study tool. The players are branded with the school’s mascot and is preloaded with orientation information and audio promotions from the various campus organizations.
8. A training company offers preloaded MP3 players, combined with an online library of training modules, as a distance learning platform for their clients.
9. A manufacturer uses MP4 players as a B2B relationship marketing tool by giving them away free to key distributors. Each player is preloaded with the first issue of a monthly audio newsletter featuring industry news, new product release information, and sales tips, and instructions on how to access and download future editions.
10. A church raises funds by selling MP3 players preloaded with special sermons and music, and parishioners receive instructions on how to download future sermons from the church’s website.